ellaOne® – specifically developed for emergency contraception1
- ellaOne® is an emergency contraception pill which contains 30 mg ulipristal acetate2, and which was specifically developed for EC1
- Ulipristal acetate is an orally-active selective progesterone receptor modulator (SPRM)2
- Having undergone a rigorous, centralised European Union (EU) authorisation process, it first became available as a prescription medicine in the EU in 20091
- Since then it has been made available in over 70 countries as a prescription medicine1 and now for pharmacy supply, without prescription across the EU
- ellaOne® works by inhibiting or delaying ovulation2
What is ellaOne®?
- ellaOne® is an emergency contraceptive pill intended to prevent pregnancy after unprotected sexual intercourse or contraceptive failure2
ellaOne® should be taken as soon as possible, but no later than 120 hours (5 days) after UPSI or contraceptive failure2
ellaOne® is for women of reproductive age who want to avoid unintended pregnancy2
How to use ellaOne® ?
- The treatment consists of one tablet to be taken orally as soon as possible after UPSI or contraceptive failure2
- ellaOne® does not offer protection from pregnancy for subsequent acts of unprotected sex. Women should be advised to use a reliable barrier method until their next menstrual period2
Although the use of ellaOne® does not contraindicate the continued use of regular hormonal contraception, ellaOne® may reduce its contraceptive action2. Therefore, if a woman wishes to start or continue using hormonal contraception, she can do so after using ellaOne®, however, she should be advised to use a reliable barrier method until the next menstrual period2.
- The tablet can be taken with or without food2
- If vomiting occurs within 3 hours of ellaOne® intake, another tablet should be taken2
- ellaOne® can be taken at any time during the menstrual cycle2
What ellaOne® is not
- ellaOne® is not a regular contraceptive, it is for occasional use only2
In any case, women should be advised to adopt a regular method of contraception.
- ellaOne® does not cause abortion, it does not interrupt an existing pregnancy2
- ellaOne® does not protect from sexually transmitted infections5